Green Business Starter Checklist
Your business can go green' by starting with some simple steps that are inexpensive and easy to implement.
1. Join Climate Wise
The City of Fort Collins has a great program called Climate Wise.' It's a free and voluntary program for your business that puts you in touch with other environmentally-conscious businesses and provides assessment tools and other information resources.
2. Put the Chamber's Green in Action Events on your Calendar
3. Set up a Green Program
Many of your employees are eager to help you "green up" your business.
Two actions to consider include:
- Write an environmental policy and communicate it to employees. In some organizations, you may even want your employees to help draft your policy.
- Create a Green Team' of employees to implement policy and plans and bring forward new ideas.
4. Some Quick Victories
- Save paper by setting your copier and printer defaults to double-sided
- Buy copier paper with a minimum 30 percent post consumer recycled content
- Turn off lights when not in use and unplug electronics after hours
- In your office equipment replacement plan, require the purchase of Energy Star-certified products
- Buy less toxic cleaners
5. Measure your progress
Keep track of your success by measuring how much energy you're saving, how much water you're conserving, and how much trash you're keeping out of the landfill through your efforts. These measures can be used to quantify the overall positive environmental impacts of your Green Business program - and how much money you've saved in the process.